Thursday 5 May 2016

L-I-Vator

I like packing puzzles, especially when they have something more than a regular packing puzzle with the same boring shapes and same boring moves!

Well if you feel the same as me, then you should have a try at puzzles designed by Laszlo Molnar and made by Brian Menold.

What's special with Laszlo's puzzles? The shapes of pieces are not common, the solving process includes rotations and you have constraints (the shape of the cage).


The puzzle is composed of 6 pieces and the cage as you can see above. Without the cage we would not have a puzzles of course!

There are 3 ways to make a cube with the given pieces. It does not mean that it will be an easy task, though!
Indeed, with a cube you have 6 sides, and moreover you mave many ways to decide the order you put the pieces to make the cube...and you have to see which pieces can rotate as well. So be ready for puzzling hours!!

As mentioned, this puzzle includes rotation(s) so burr tool won't help you solving it, but burr tool can actually give you the 3 different ways to make a cube, useful but not enough.

After many hours of playing with it, and I must admit with a bit of luck, I managed to solve it, and the sequence of moves are definitely elegant. This puzzle can only be created by a devilish mind, but it's not the most difficult from Laszlo. On a scale of 10 (1 being "common that's childly easy", 10 being "Oh my God, I will solve it in 50 years"), the designer ranks it as 4/10. In my mind I would better say 7/10!


Laszlo's puzzles are, as far as I know, only made by Brian Menold, and from what I also saw these designs have a lot of success (proof is that Brian made other batches of them!).

If you want to enjoy these puzzles be quick and ready when Brian releases new batches of puzzles. They are sold out fast. Easy to understand why ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment